Minutes · March 16, 2020

Meeting February 2020

NLS Board Meeting
Monday, February 17, 2020

Present: Wendy Showalter, President, Debbie Klatt, VP of Administration, Lindsey Daugherty, VPO, Rev. Sue Beall, Spiritual Director, Jeanne Gaston, Secretary, James Ryan, Treasurer, Skip and Lori Gooch, Archivist/Historian, Paul Sabatier-Smith, Palanca Chair, Hollie Jennings, Newsletter Editor, Rick Hanzlik, Web / AV Coordinator

Absent: Rhonda Balsley, Non-Profit/Tax Advisor, Dave Lambert, Database Coordinator, Tom Krause, National Distribution Center

Call to Order at 7:07 PM CT

Opening Prayer- Paul led us in prayer

Approval of Past Meeting’s Minutes Approved by Sue, 2nd by Jim. Approved.

Old Business

Elections are this summer for SD, Treasurer, and VPA – Debbie and Jim are probably not going to re-run.

Committees’ Status:

Bylaws– Report received from Karl Gaston and forwarded to the Executive Committee and the committee heads.

Renaming of NLS Committee – Marsha Poisel – is having some medical issues so this has been delayed

Guinea Pig Project – The Executive Committee and Committee chairs present on the call discussed this item. We need input from all. We will discuss more at the next meeting.

Executive Director Search– Have had 2 people who have contacted the president for more information but have not completed an information/nomination form.


Debbie – Annual Gathering (AG)

Debbie sent info to Wendy on the forum revisions

Hollie has place the AG information for registration on Facebook.

Nancy Peterson has been in close contact with Debbie. She has had issues with committee.

The Executive Committee will need to arrive Wednesday morning or early afternoon. We will have a meeting around 3:00PM on Wednesday. Plan on arriving no later than 1:00PM.

The committee chairs, if attending, will need to arrive on Wednesday also with a meeting scheduled at 9:00AM on Thursday morning.

One or two people have committed to present an EOI/Workshop so far.

A Regional Coordinator box needs to be added to the registration form.

2021 Annual Gathering – Sue Bathe has been in contact with Debbie. Things are progressing.

Pastor Sue – Clergy Experience – 8 Pilgrims attended the joint efforts of A-OK, North Texas, Lutheran Texas, Texas Gulf Coast VdC – 42 team members. It was a great experience and attendees seem to be very supportive of the VdC Ministry.

Clergy Survey – Still waiting for RC info on clergy but it is ready to go.

Jim – Very little activity this time of year. There was a return of almost $700 from MN for Midyear meeting. We have a little over $32,200.

Dues letters are going out now.

Jeanne – Annual Activities Report –Are going out now. Still waiting for verification of officers for the Secretariats from the RCs.

Nomination Forms – Should be completed by next week.

Lindsay – Is looking for a new RC for Region 7.

Lindsay is working with the RCs to gather officer information for each Secretariat.

4th Day Leaders Forum – Some of the take-a-ways:

There were several different 4th Day’s involved – Catholic Cursillo, Walk to Emmaus, etc.

Cursillo is looking at their roots – why did you start to begin with – start back at the beginning.

What are the essentials? Don’t make it someone’s personal agenda.

They are focusing on cleaning up. We are growing leaders. If we don’t change leaders we may not be willing to change and may not be able to grow our leaders. We should be encouraging our leaders to help create other leaders even if they are to take our place.

Intentionally ask: How many people are you asking to come to a weekend or to be an SD etc.? How are you doing that? Reach out. With SD’s explain how going to a weekend or Clergy Experience can help them serve their parish/church and how they minister.

A suggestion to attract Millennials is to mentor instead of sponsor. Relationships are really important.

Lengths of talks – all their talks are shorter in general. They have put a huge emphasis on discussion time – where the action happens.

Having downtime on a weekend is important. A weekend can be exhausting and difficult to process due to all the information included. Pilgrims should not feel overwhelmed and should have time to process.

Many of these programs received information from VdC to get their program’s started.

Hollie – Sent out her first newsletter about a month ago.

Hollie is now doing the postings to our Facebook page.

On registering for the AG – Go ahead and register but don’t pay since if you are an Executive Committee member or if you required you to be involved in the someway at the AG.

Skip/Lori – Lori and Skip are going to try to prioritize all the archived documents and put them in some semblance of order. We will make space at the AG to have this information available at the AG. If anyone in the community has any documents they think might be an addition they will be encouraged to bring it.

New Business

It has been brought to our attention that the State of Minnesota needs a permanent address for NLS. It should be someone in Minnesota. When more details are received from Rhonda we can make a group decision that makes sense.

Please review information on: Guinea Pig Project, Bylaw suggested changes, and Dave Lambert’s report

Next Meeting – Executive Committee – March 16

Closing Prayer lead by Pastor Sue

Meeting Adjourned at 8:44PM CT

 | Website

Eric is our current Webmaster and works on the NLS Communications Team. Raised in Judaism, he found Christ and the New Testament at age 16 in a Southern Baptist Church. He searched many denominations for the real church, only to find the Holy Spirit is present in all of them. He's worked for One for Israel, a group of native Israeli believers who are sharing the gospel in the holy land in Hebrew and is part of the only Hebrew speaking seminary in Israel.